05 April 2008

Thing #12: NetLibrary and WorldCat

NetLibrary
1) Sign up for NetLibrary account. Done.
2) Look around NetLibrary. Perform a search. Done.
3) I don't find it terribly easy to use, but it's certainly simple to sign up for an account. Most patrons who use it, found the title they are looking for thru OCL's catalog, and sign up for a NetLibrary account in order to access the information. I don't think in most cases, this is their preferred method of obtaining information, but they will use it. Yes, I know how to use it, and yes, I know how to help patrons use it. Done.

I'm already familiar with Bartleby.com , Respectfully Quoted, and Project Gutenberg. Maybe 'cause I'm a librarian. I dunno. I'm sure there's more I could learn about them, but eh.

WorldCat
1) I searched for a particular book by John Stillwell. No one has it, near or far. I did, however, find an index to that particular book. Burlington County Library had a copy of the index. Done.
2) Click on the little tabs and find the secret, hidden information. Done.
3) WorldCat didn't have any of the things I was looking for. Granted, they were obscure. Most patrons love WorldCat, and come in with all the information to order something from a particular place. I have to explain that we won't necessarily be borrowing from that place, but possibly somewhere else, and we will try to get it for them. While it's nice to have the publication information, staff still has to try to find more information to fill their ILL requests. Done.

Note about the optional Exercise: Great minds think alike, I was searching for John E Stillwell's Wills of Monmouth County (or Historical and Genealogical Miscellany, Vol VI.). I didn't find it, altho I found the index.

No comments: